BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Monday, August 3, 2009

Nesting, minus the baby...and the husband.

So for the last week or two I have become greatly unsatisfied with certain aspects of my home. Like, have to fix it now, officially driving me crazy need to get it done unsatisfied. I have decided that the windows HAVE to be replaced...ALL OF THEM and that the current fence has GOT TO GO!! I need windows from the current century that are of the double paned, energy saving type and a backyard fence that keeps me from seeing the trashy neighbors across the alley who keep their dogs tied down (ugh) and that keeps my curious little pita puppy from getting out every time she sees something interesting so that maybe I can let her outside without constant personal supervision.



I also want crown molding in the living room, to repain the bookcase, to repaint most of the house, really. I want to redo the entire backyard (after the fence) and the front yard and replace the carpeting in the master bedroom (wish I could do more hardwood flooring) and some new living room furniture and refinish the dining room table and redo the kitchen cabinets.



You get the picture.



Paint will be cheap. The rest will not.



Which brings to me to the part of the post in which I get (not so) irrationally angry at things I can't change and in which I may (not maliciously) inadvertently piss off/annoy my married friends...



Here's the thing- money doesn't buy happiness, or at least that's the theory, right? I call bullshit. It may not buy actuall happiness, but I'll be damned if it doesn't buy a hell of a lot of peace of mind.



Now, I have a great job and I make enough money to afford the house I bought and my bills on my own, which is liberating. But that's about all I can afford, and I can't help but think "if only I had a second income to help out!" Not that married people have it made in the shade and that it would solve all the problems in the world- but dammit, where are the registries for single girls buying their own home????? When will it be kosher for someone to throw me a "single girl" shower and send out invites so I can register at Macy's, Target and Bed Bath and Beyond??? When will someone else buy my place settings and new towels and sheets for the guest bedroom????

Yes it's crazy selfish and more than a little bitchy but why do people getting married get all the fun? Single people buy homes every day and they might want place settings and a toaster too!!

I love my married friends and my engaged friends and I wouldn't for the world take the fun of registering away from them- I guess it's just combination of the green eyed monster and frustration at the lack of stretchiness to my paycheck and my big ol' want list for the house. But dammit...I want place settings!

6 comments:

Basco said...

Nikki- I totally feel your pain. Being single and trying to afford all those things is tough! But, at least you have a house, thats a start. All those other things will fall into place....butI'm like you, when I decide I want something done, I want it NOW and it drives me crazy till I get it done.

Heather said...

I have a running list of "want-to-do's" that I keep. I just tackle them one at a time, saving the money up and getting them done. It takes longer, but it eventually gets done. On holidays, I also ask my parents for gift certificates from places that facilitate me getting those things done. It helps. I feel your pain too, though.

NicoleC said...

Can I just paste this on my blog? I've had those thoughts more often thani can count since I bought my house over a year ago. It is frustrating!!

Crissy said...

Haha! I absolutely loved this! But to burst the bubble, I can tell you, THIS married couple doesn't have a house to nest in! So here's my big ugly green monster, I want a house to spend money on!!! Plus, I would totally get you something off of your registry! Miss you!

kimmiegirl said...

Doesn't anyone throw housewarming parties anymore..You can register for those!!

kandice said...

register yourself at target or crate and barrel... i think you can do that these days... then you could just post a link to your registry for your bday or christmas. :)
i'd buy from it! and amen, by the way... although i've found that in my case, i quit waiting on the registry and have started buying everything i need a little at a time. it's a pretty short list now. :) maybe if i ever get to that point, folks can pitch in on the honeymoon (you know you can register for that now right? people can buy you a massage for two in the bahamas or whatever- crazy)